Two friends are chatting about their nutrition. The first one says, “I want to be healthy and feel great.” The second one says, “I intend to be healthy and feel great.”
Which one do you think is going to get healthy and feel great?
Yep – the one who intends it.
Wanting is simply wishing you can have or do a particular thing.
Intending means you’re committed to achieving something by making a plan for success – and sticking to it!
INTENTION DETERMINES OUTCOME.
AND IF YOU ARE STUCK AND NOT MOVING FORWARD,
YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE THOUGHT AND THE ACTION THAT CREATED THE CIRCUMSTANCE.”
The Fuel for Desired Results
- Get clear on what you want. Make a list in a journal, or if you are more visual create a vision board by gathering images and words that pertain to your goal and how you want to feel. Then pin them to a cork board or glue them on to a large piece of construction paper. Hang the collage in a spot where you’ll see it often (or, you can use an online service like Pinterest to create a digital vision board).
- Do something to make your desire more of a reality. Let’s say you want to eat four servings of vegetables a day. Your first action may be to go to a farmers’ market and purchase a few veggies you can cook for dinner.
- Celebrate your achievement! Achievements feel SO good. Don’t forget to congratulate yourself for meeting your goal.
How to Have a Great Day… Every Day!
Did you know that you can even set an intention to have a great day? Rather than diving into your morning and hoping you’ll achieve your day’s big goal, why not take a moment and set yourself up for success?
Try this Setting an Intention to Succeed exercise used by professional athletes, speakers, politicians, and performers:
- Upon waking, lie in bed and think about what you have planned for your day (or, find a quiet spot to sit and contemplate).
- Think about your desired outcome. Take a deep breath and visualize yourself succeeding.
- Replay your success several times in your mind.
- Next, add other senses, including sounds, smells, and touch. For instance, as you replay your success, you also pretend to feel the sensations of fitting back into your skinny jeans, or you begin to feel the self assurance arising from your ability to lose weight to move closer to your wellness goals.
- Lastly, replay the scene again, adding emotions. Feel your elation for reaching success, or your pride at finally implementing lasting lifestyle changes.
You can perform Setting an Intention to Succeed throughout the day as desired.
As one of my teachers simply stated in integrative nutrition school, “Intentions are triggers for transformation in the body. If you want to wiggle your toes you do it with intention.” – Deepak Chopra